2017 Tax Filing

Release Date: Thursday, Jan 19, 2017
All J scholars and student interns, and their J-2 dependents are required to file at least one tax form with the U.S. government for each tax year they are in the US regardless of whether or not they earned any income. Tax forms for 2016 are due April 18, 2017.

If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, you are not eligible to file your tax return electronically. You should only use Glacier Tax Prep software, which will help you determine your tax residency status and file your tax return. ISFS will send you access information to GTP in mid-February.

Access to GTP is only for J-1 scholars and student interns who are non-resident for tax purposes. For scholars who are in H-1B, TN, or O-1 and J-1 visitors who are residents for tax purposes should visit the Internal Revenue Website for more information. Note that the tax definitions of “resident” and “non-resident” are not the same as the immigration definition of these terms.