Amending your H-1B status

Federal regulations require the filing of a new petition with USCIS to report material changes to an H-1B holder's employment prior to the actual planned change.
Material changes that must be reported may include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Change in title
  • Change in percent effort
  • Change in job duties
  • Change in work location
  • Change in supervisory responsibilities
  • Change in salary

In order to determine whether or not an amendment is required, the employer must provide Immigration Affairs with information regarding any proposed change. This will help Immigration Affairs in determining the appropriate course of action.  If the proposed changes constitute material changes to the employment, an amended H-1B petition must be filed with USCIS.  
The amendment petition should be filed with USCIS before you assume the new title, salary, work location, etc.